Monday, November 1, 2010

My Best Bias Skirt Yet- and it's a Convertible Dress

I think corduroy is probably my favorite thing about fall.  I was thrilled to get several yards of this fine wale indigo dyed corduroy, and I really love this long bias skirt I made from it.


Yep, I cut this cotton corduroy on the bias, and it worked out just fine.  I drafted this pattern myself, using the one-yard wonders bias skirt pattern as a guide at the top.  I know this is going to be my favorite skirt I have made for myself yet.  But what is even better is that it doubles as a dress!


I love the weight of this cotton corduroy, which is not too heavy, and I can totally see wearing this over my bathing suit (or just as a dress) at the end of the day in summer.  I predict I will be making a navy swimsuit when spring fever starts to set in early next year!

I finished the bottom hem of this skirt with narrow regular serging (after I broke two heavy duty needles trying to roll the hem on this corduroy) and then I used this special ric rac-ish trim over the serged edge.  This skirt could not have been easier to sew.   If you have the same (or nearly the same) chest and hip measurements, as do Dolly and me, then you can easily make a 2-in-1 convertible long skirt and dress, too.

I had more of this fabric and next I will show you my jacket....

Happy Sewing!

No comments: