Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Recon: mens' button down shirt to ladies summer top


This has been hands down my favorite top this season.  I made it from a thrifted (size L) man's shirt I had picked up for Mr. Sweetie, but he wouldn't wear it because he thought the colors were too girly.  I loved them, though, and set out to transform it into something feminine that would fit me.  I found another shirt, which was too small for me and anyway had a big hole, in my scrap bag, and I used this to make the coordinating bands.  I loved that shirt for years and it looks great with the colors in the mens shirt, don't you think?
I took the side seams in a whole lot to make the big mens shirt fit me (loosely), but this shirt would be PERFECT to make for maternity, and if I was pregnant in summer, I would make up a bunch of these.  The buttons make it perfect for nursing, too.

So, I made another one of these today and I took pictures as I worked and hope to have a tutorial for this finished and posted tomorrow.  Although it is pretty simple and I am sure you could figure out how to do it just by looking at the picture!  But I need the experience making the tutorial, and maybe it will help you to make a top you like as much as I like this one.

I am working on another tutorial, too, as well as preparing for Christmas in July, here, next month, when we will be busy making all kinds of gifts and crafts.  And between now and then we will get into some serious sewing room organization.  So please stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this and I have a men's shirt that I want to recondition, where can I find your tutorial?

Millie Green said...

Here is the tutorial, here at Sewing and Growing.