Friday, July 2, 2010

Crib Sheet to Toy Box Recon

Ever since I first heard about the Iron Crafter Challenge and the secret ingredient of sheets, I have been thinking about this crib sheet:


This will be my second entry in this challenge.
I removed the elastic from the edges and cut the corners so I could press the crib sheet before taking this picture.  My baby loves trucks and is quickly amassing quite the collection.  He really needs a box for his "cars" and I think this will be just the project for this sheet.  I also have some other sheets.


At first I wasn't sure which to use for this project, but the red sheet has already been cut and I have some navy bias tape I could use for the top edges.

So, you need the crib sheet (or whatever) and another sheet or pillowcase (or whatever) to use for the lining, some bias tape, which you can easily make from your sheet if you don't have any, and sheets of needlepoint canvas.  I used these because I had them, and because I want my box to be sturdy enough to stand up well.

Start by cutting 5 squares measuring 5 3/4" each,  from the crib sheet.  You also need 5 squares (again, 5.75") for the lining, and 5 squares of cotton batting.  I cut my batting squares a little bit larger, just to be safe.


Take one lining square and one front square and line them up right sides together, and then lay down one of your batting squares on top.  Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance on three sides, leaving the entire 4th side open for turning.  Now, you could just trim the edges and press and turn.  But I like to use the serger and I want to show you what it can do.  So, after I sew my 1/4" seams, I run them quickly under the serger.    I want to show you a picture, but I had a hard time taking one while serging.  It's blurry, but I will show you and hope you can see.  Notice at the top what has already passed through the serger has been trimmed neatly with the edges wrapped in thread.  At the bottom of the picture, you can see all the excess batting that is being trimmed as it goes into the serger.


Like I said, I am sorry this picture is so blurry!  Here you can see how nice and neat this looks after I have sergered all three sides:


So, do this on all 5 panels, and then turn them and press.  Then you will take a piece of the needlepoint canvas and trim it just small enough to slip into the panel.  Trim it on the top edge short enough that there will be enough room on the top edge to sew the binding on the machine without the needle hitting the canvas.  So, you use your bias tape to close up the open end on each panel.  Skip the bias on one panel and just turn under your raw edges and topstitch.  Now you have 4 panels like this (and one without the bias binding):


I have decided to reverse my bottom panel, so the firetrucks will show and the red will be on the floor.
Now you want to sew four side panels along their bottom edge to all four sides of the bottom square:


Now, this has all come together quickly.  But because of the plastic panels inside, I have decided I will have to hand sew the sides together.  So thread a needle and sit down and carefully and neatly sew up three of the sides.  Catch the lining on both sides with your needle, right at their edges.  On the fourth side seam, sew a little more than halfway up, and then stop, leaving your needle still threaded.


Now you want to turn the box outside out before finishing this last seam.  I will tell you it was scary turning this; I was afraid of the plastic panels cracking....but it turns just fine, just have patience and go slowly.  Once you get it turned, finish sewing the side seam and tie off.  And Voila:

Toy Box from a Crib Sheet

You can see he has already pulled out a truck.  He likes his new toy box and has moved it into the other room and emptied and refilled it and emptied it again.  I am glad its roomy enough to hold all his trucks and more and I am sure that any little boy would be happy to have a box filled with trucks!  Plus, I see endless variations on this.  You could use something pretty and make a bin for your crafts.  Or what about making another panel with a flap to make a velcro-able lid and then having pockets on the outside or inside (or both).  You could make a little flap to secure it around a seatbelt and have a neat place to store books and toys between kids in your car.  Or make more, in graduated sizes, and then they could stack and nest.

I hope you will make one or many neat boxes and I know you will have fun!  Have a great day!



5 comments:

Jane said...

This is terrific! What a cute sheet and what a great repurpose for it!

Rachel said...

Great project! I made a fabric barn for my daughter using that same method and materials.. the only problem was, I stink at hand sewing. I ended up sewing on a few tiny buttons to hold the sides together.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Millie! I love it! SPOOO CUTE and useful!

I wanted to let you know that you made it in the top 10 Iron Crafters!

http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/07/iron-crafter-sheetspillowcases-top-ten.html

Elaine Barnett said...

Love your idea for these boxes!

I so need to make these.

Thank you for making this tutorial.

I love boxes and organization and think this is something I can actually do!

LOVE the idea of using the old sheets etc.

Great blog-followed you over from Sew Mama Sew .com!

Please keep the projects coming!

:) God bless,
Elaine

Unknown said...

This is great! I am going to add this to my to do list. Thanks for the tutorial.