Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kitchen Gift Idea: Oven Mitts



My friend Hilary made these oven mitts; aren't they adorable?


 I thought this was a great idea for an easy gift to sew.  Simple quick projects like this are the perfect way for me to make sure that everyone I know will get something handmade by me for the holidays.  I sewed some of these for father's day gifts but they are gone now so I cannot show photos of those.

But I did sew a few today to stash away in my Santa Sack:

for a couple who have John Deere everything in their kitchen

This one is for Mr. Green; I omitted the hanging loop on his because we stash ours in a drawer.

This one is for a guy who works on a boat and who soon will be a Captain.

I am quite sure I will be sewing lots more of these for gifts this year.  Like I said, they are super easy and quick to make.  You can easily sew several in a day and you will feel so satisfied to know that you are already working on your gift list!  

If you really feel like you need a pattern and instructions for making these, I noticed they have a pattern for oven mitts, and also a hot pad, in the One Yard Wonders book.  But what Hilary and I both did is to just use an existing oven mitt we had already.  Just turn it inside out and trace to make your pattern.  You can either use things like old towels or flannel blankets or quilt batting to make it thick inside, or you can buy insulated batting, which makes the middle layers not as thick and easier to sew.  Just cut 2 pieces of your cute fabric and 2 pieces for lining, assemble as a quilt with the batting in the middle, and quilt all three layers together on both pieces.  Then I attach the binding to the bottom edge before I put them right sides together and sew. Then you just clip your corners and turn and you are done.  Simple, easy, satisfying, and cute.

If you have an hour, why don't you go make some now?  Have fun!   I will be back son with more gift ideas to make.  Have a great day!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I love this idea! Do they still work pretty well (I mean as heat protection) if you use old towels as the fill? I have a lot of old towels and have been looking for ways to use them...this would be a good way to start!

Millie Green said...

Hi, KC. Yes, the one I made for Mr. Green a while ago was made with a thick towel and 2 layers of thin flannel and it works just fine.

Anonymous said...

Cute! I may need to add a few of these to my Christmas list.

Olivia said...

Oh, I love the mitts! I'll have to make some! I'm the kind of stupid person who likes to try and pull stuff out of the oven with bare hands when I don't have a tea towel/mitts around, so I really need these!

Ben and Phyllis said...

Love this idea! Will be imitating you soon :) (remember the saying, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :))